Tower of Doom crashing tribes

Schnoz

Tower of Doom crashing tribes

Postby Schnoz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Tower of doom has been crashing my tribes lately. Not sure why. It is the only area in the game that makes my tribes crash at all, and it happens somewhat regularly, enough that I can't climb the tower much.

If I had to guess I'd say the view distance is screwing with my vid card. Any way to lower this in the console?

phantom
Site Admin

Re: Tower of Doom crashing tribes

Postby phantom » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Schnoz wrote:Tower of doom has been crashing my tribes lately. Not sure why. It is the only area in the game that makes my tribes crash at all, and it happens somewhat regularly, enough that I can't climb the tower much.

If I had to guess I'd say the view distance is screwing with my vid card. Any way to lower this in the console?

$pref::TerrainVisibleDistance = 100;
Default is 1500.

However I doubt this is what's causing your problem. It sounds like a shape or texture the game doesn't like. If you play fullscreen, try windowed. If you play windowed, try fullscreen.

Disconnecting (crashing) on the tower won't reset your progress.

Bovidi

Postby Bovidi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I had a similar problem when I played it on my laptop. There are so many objects that tribes is easily overloaded....here are the tips I used to remain stable.

Full screen (makes it a lot more stable)
No armor on (bronze plate mail I believe is the worst...yes it is weird)
texture detail and light detail to low (these two were the killers for mine)
don't look down then up quickly
As phantom said terrain distance to low (This actually does have a big effect more than most, because objects are loaded based on this number so even by switching to something such 500 will only load half the tower)

***On a side note I might pop in if I get extra time soon***

Return to “Phantom Worlds RPG (TribesRPG.org server)”