Draggun's Consolidated Proposals Thread

Dragonwell

Draggun's Consolidated Proposals Thread

Post by Dragonwell » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Phant is our one-man army of TRpg coding and currently the only active TRpg (scripting) developer that I know of. That means most proposals are a hell of a lot of work for him, but I nevertheless am a person of ideas who needs to get those ideas to other people. To that end, this is my thread proposals for additional Phantom RPG mechanics, items, zones, et. al.

Caster Focus Weapon
Purpose: Make casters a more robust and unique playstyle complete with their own class of weapons. These weapons also seek to mitigate the steep difficulty curve of casters in the early game.

Essentially, the new class of caster weapon would be the "Focus". The focus is a slow-firing ranged magic weapon (say, three second recharge - same as a battle axe) with middling to solid damage depending on level / rarity. The real use of the focus, though, is a straight buff to the caster's MATK while held, as well as perhaps a slight DEF bonus. Foci could see progression based on gems - the lowest is a granite or opal focus all the way up to a diamond focus at the top end (and a keldrinite focus for multi-remort endgame). Example item:

Opal Focus
Requirements: 30 Energy
Price: $1000
Bonuses: MATK: 35 (same as broadsword, applies to the firing as well as spells cast)*, DEF 20, Mana Regen 2
Weight: 2
Delay: 3.0 sec

Crafting: 10
Smithing: 3 Opal, 5 Copper, 1 Tin -> 'Opal Focus'

* Perhaps instead the attack of the focus deals damage as well as debuffing MDEF of the target by a fair amount, say -30 for the Opal Focus.
Weapon modeler and animator for Phantom RPG.
Phantom RPG Characters: Draggun (RL10 Druid), Draggun2 (RL0 Necro)
Particle: Draggun (RL0 Druid)

Dragonwell

Re: Draggun's Consolidated Proposals Thread

Post by Dragonwell » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 pm

Divine Magic Sucks Less
Purpose: Divine Magic is pretty underwhelming and of questionable utility at high levels.

This suggestion is made partly to get away from low-level reliance on Greater Heal Potion and high-level reliance on the Healing skill.

First point: Godly Heal, the last in a series of single-target heals under Divine Magic, requires 600 skill to use. You'd expect Godly Heal to be very powerful - it's not. 80HP is what you're going to get out of that heal no matter what your skill level. 80HP per heal on a 6 second recovery - it seems strange to think that the lower Greater Heal Potion has greater healing throughput than channeling divine energy. What I'm attempting to demonstrate is that the healing spells of Divine Magic are utterly underwhelming. The lowest heal, Heal, restores 6HP. That's adequate for level 1 or 2 and not much else. There is the "Bless" spell, which I'm told (I have never played a cleric) scales with skill as well as heals and shields at once. That's great. But it's Cleric-only.

The real issue is that these spells don't scale with skill and therefore don't scale with level if you're not a Cleric. The incoming damage from monsters swiftly outpaces the throughput of the heal spells within just a few levels. Full Heal has a 60 sec recovery, making it an "oh noes" button, not a general heal. Mass Heal also has a lengthy 10 sec recovery and underwhelming throughput (plus, it's meant to be a party heal).

Second point: Shield spells. The shield spells are actually pretty decent - the very first shield grants 50 DEF, which can potentially mitigate an extra 5 points of damage. At the level you can access it, that's pretty solid. The top shield, AdvShield6, is worth 300 DEF and 330 MDEF. Up to 30 points of mitigation. The shield spells even stack together - you can cast Shield all the way up to AdvShield6 on yourself for some pretty significant DEF and MDEF gains.

That stacking is in fact what high-level characters have to do to make shield spells worth it. Suddenly monsters are hitting you for hundreds and later on thousands of points of damage. All of the shield spells combined might make a dent in that damage - if you can be bothered to stack a whopping seven temporary spells on yourself.

So what are my fixes?

First point: Heal spells all scale with level. All of them except Godly Heal are capped. For example, Heal starts out with a 6HP gain, but caps at a 20HP gain. Advheal6, right below Godly Heal, heals for 60HP base but could scale up to 100HP. Godly Heal, the greatest of them all, starts at 80HP but has no cap.

Second point: The new "Composite Shield" spell. This rolls the +DEF and +MDEF of all the previous shield spells into one plus some extra. Requires between 800 - 1000 Divine Magic skill and RL1 or RL2. The rationale of the RL requirement is that you're beginning to face mobs that will outpace the mitigation that the shield spells offer (specifically, demons). That's when you need the composite shield spell, and it takes some investment on the Divine Magic front. Commitment, even.

Dragonwell

Re: Draggun's Consolidated Proposals Thread

Post by Dragonwell » Mon May 30, 2016 9:14 am

So I talked to rj, an RL35 player last night. He tells me that at King's Mine and beyond, the only viable strategy for leveling is cliff killing with magic. Below is a combined rant / suggestion on how to bring the two other playstyles (melee and ranged) into vogue alongside magic.

First, the real meat of this argument: phant has taken significant steps to ensure that melee cliff killing is mostly impossible. A classic example of said cliff killing is in Mino's Lair where players would stand such that a fraction of a minotaur's model would be exposed and open to hitting but the mino would not retaliate. Free XP. Monsters are now far too squirrely for this to be an effective strategy. But as it stands, the only way to survive King's Mine and beyond is to do exactly this but with magic. Ceremony. Meteor spam until death. Rinse and repeat.

If I'm to be blunt, I can't see myself grinding that way for very long. My current playstyle is to curse a fresh spawn, chunk the enemy with a Keldrinite Longsword and then burn through their LCK with a Slasher. In what's a historically unprecedented turn for TRPG, it's actually semi-engaging and fun. But this playstyle won't work once I, an RL15 character right now, get to the point where I need to move past Ubers and on to King's Mine. So my proposal is this: create a new set of remort armors. The first one below is a complete shot in the dark. I don't know what kind of DEF you'd need to go toe to toe with the demons of King's Mine because I don't know the math.

Adamant Plate
2400 DEF, 400 HP, 700 MDEFs
Requires 1700 Endurance, Remort 10
Price: 1.2m
Recipe: 1 Full Plate, 3 Keldrinite, 10 Diamond, 10 Emerald

I should also note that while Ubers are generally doable, Wraiths still hit me for over 1k in fully upgraded Keldrin Armour with a Dragon Shield, all the rings, and AdvShield5-7. You an imagine what sort of damage a King's Mine demon is capable of. The alternative that rj and I hit on was creating high-end remort-only shield spells in the Divine school that offered similar DEF numbers, but that might get sploity if it can be stacked with the regular AdvShield spells.

While we're at it, there's the issue of ranged weapons. On the whole, ranged weapons do marginally more damage than melee weapons of the same tier but come with the massive drawback that is the finite, heavy, and very expensive ammunition you have to feed them. My proposal would be to eliminate the need for ammunition entirely. There's a reason you saw so very few ranged players compared to the melee players over the years of TRPG. Unless you were really into that flavor, it just wasn't worth it. From a playability perspective, ammunition just isn't a compelling or interesting gameplay mechanic.